I have been on an egg diet for quite some time now, by now I can declare that I am an eggetarian (yeah!). I eat vegetables and eggs in every damn possible way (whatever I can imagine and cook). It does not mean that I don’t cook meat or chicken, I do but I don’t eat it (it usually goes into some else’s stomach). I prefer keeping my dinner light, most of the times. A bowl of salad which contains vegetables, egg proteins and nuts makes a filling and light dinner. The fiber from the vegetables gives satiety and good quality protein and vitamins from egg white are essential for maintaining health.
For people like me who are on weight management or have high cholesterol or LDL levels, it is better to avoid egg yolk, as egg yoIk has high free cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol levels or diabetes or heart problems or obese, do consult a doctor/nutritionist about including eggs in your diet.
Controlling your diet does not mean that you have to starve yourself. It is all about right food choices, controlled portion sizes and right timings. Keeping these points one can always make diligent and healthy food choices. Hence, I am sharing one of my favorite dinner recipes with you.
Let us begin!
- Olive oil or mustard oil – 2 tsp
- Deseeded and sliced tomato – 1
- Sliced capsicum- 1 cup
- Sliced yellow bell pepper – 1/2 cup
- Sliced red bell pepper – 1/2 cup
- Sliced asparagus – 2
- Sweet corn (optional) – 1/4 cup
- Chopped zucchini – 1 cup
- Sliced mushrooms – 5
- Boiled and sliced egg whites-2
- Pumpkin seeds – 2 tsp
- Handful spinach, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Balsamic vinegar – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice as required
- Take a pan and heat over medium flame. Add oil (I used mustard oil) and heat it. Now add tomato, capsicum, yellow and red bell pepper. Saute and cover for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, sweet corns, zucchini and mushrooms. Add salt, pepper, chili powder and garam masala and mix well. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add boiled egg whites and pumpkin seeds. Mix well.
- Add chopped spinach and drizzle balsamic vinegar. Cover and cook for 2 minutes (do not overcook the spinach).
- Drizzle lemon juice and serve at room temperature or warm.
A very simple and colorful salad which gets ready in no time.
Know that: Vegetarians can replace egg white with paneer or cottage cheese.
Try this dish and give your feedback here!
Live & Love,