It is 2018 and I have been wondering for a while what kind of blog post should I start my year with. And what could be better than sweet cake food blog. I prepared this yummy cake for Christmas and wanted to share the recipe with you all. I am particularly not fond of a simple apple bread or cake so I thought why not to add some twist to make it a bit different. My additions here were my favorite cranberries and walnuts. It is a dense cake and not spongy one because I personally love fudge, brownies which are more dense on the palette. So, let us start the year on a sweet note and get baking!
Refined flour/Maida- 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Dried cranberries – 1/2 teaspoon
Medium apples (peeled & grated) – 2
Softened butter – 1/2 or 50 g
Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 2
Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
Cream- 200 mL
Icing sugar to taste
Chopped Walnuts for sprinkling
- Prepare a baking tin by lining with greased butter paper.
- Preheat the oven at 180-degree Celsius.
- In a bowl sieve refined flour and baking powder together. Add 1/4 cup cranberries and keep aside.
- Now peel and grate the apples. Add them to the flour mixture.
- In another bowl beat the eggs and add the softened butter, whisk them well. Add vanilla essence.
- Now mix flour mixture and egg mixture gradually by cutting and folding.
- If the mixture looks very thick add little water.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared baking tin.
- Keep the baking tin in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream for icing. Beat the cream until thickened over an ice bowl. Add icing sugar as per the sweetness required.
- Check the whether the cake is completely cooked by inserting a toothpick at the center.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Now spread the cream on top and sprinkle remaining cranberries and chopped walnuts.
Know that: You can change the topping to blueberries, blackberries or strawberries. You can also add almonds to add more texture to the cake.
Hope you all enjoy it and may your year be as sweet as this cake!
Live & Love,